Saturday, May 20, 2006

Another loss...

All the roses are in bloom, and the irises are at their glorious best. What a show! John planted half a dozen little Sweet Williams for Mother's Day, for which Janice had given him the money. Not only in my new back yard garden, but he added blue delphinium and something called Mllion Bells in the front Cosmos plot as well. And last year's birthday Cosmos are 10 or 12 inches tall and blossoming. A beautiful blend of blues, lavenders, purples, magentas and an occasional peach-colored iris. Wonderful combination.

Mother's Day for me was quiet and relaxed, with phone calls from each of my children, and a grandchild. Brunch out with lady friends from church, and a quick fast-food supper with John before watching a favorite TV show with him made my day.

But for my dearest neighbor friend, Marilou Boilard, it was to be her last Mother's Day. She and Dennis had just driven the 400 miles from Barstow, California, the last leg of their journey. They had been on a vacation trip to New Mexico for two weeks. I looked forward to hearing all about it when we took our next walk.

Marilou and I have been walking three miles together (with several other ladies in the neighborhood) for over 15 years. Then, as the group dwindled, because of moves, or ill health, we walked with our husbands. Dennis and Bob became fast friends as we four made the same circuit every day. Then, Bob was called Home and that left Marilou and me to walk together. We sometimes sang hymns, or songs from the 40's together, as she had most of the words memorized. We often talked of our faith in the Lord. Last June, she and Dennis felt the urge to come visit us, and arrived just minutes after Bob had died, and so they were here to comfort me. They came in and she knelt by his bed and prayed, and they both wept with me.

Sunday evening, she thought she had indigestion, but when the pain became severe, Dennis took her to the emergency hospital. Doctors determined that it was her heart, and even though a life-flight helicopter was called to take her to Stanford Hospital for surgery, she couldn't be stabilized for the flight, and passed away. My heart is broken for Dennis. I know just how he feels. I had months to prepare for my loss, but he had no warning. This year they were going to celebrate their 50th Wedding Anniversary, and had already sent out special notices for the occasion.

She was the consummate house keeper, and I never saw anything out of order in their home. She was a terrific cook and baker, did excellent stichery, and decorated beautifully. I believe that she was the faithful Proverbs 31 woman, and "that her husband praises her 'in the gates' and that her children rise up and call her blessed." Mother's Day is a fitting closure to her time on earth.

I will miss her friendship.

5 Comments:

At May 20, 2006 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only imagine how much you'll miss your daily friendship with that sweet woman. I'm so sorry, for you, and for Dennis.

 
At May 20, 2006 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of you dealing with more pain. Thanks for taking such good care of me this past week in the middle of it all. Some are silver, but you are GOLD...

 
At May 20, 2006 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doris,

It was so comforting to my brother, father & I for you to come to our house in this time of sorrow & bring us food (which was wonderful!).

I know that my mother was very close to you & your family and we know that this is a great loss for you also (as well as for her many other friends).

We can't thank you enough for your friendship & kindness, both over the years & during this time.

Dave

 
At May 20, 2006 11:11 PM, Blogger John said...

My heart was broken when I received your tearful phonecall at work that she had died. I sighed so much that afternoon at our loss and Dennis' loss. I remember how I, too, was comforted by them being there after Dad died. I hurt, thinking about you missing out on that regular morning friendship...and Dennis' loss.

 
At May 22, 2006 7:22 AM, Blogger LIFEpossibilities said...

How beautiful your garden is... and even more so your memories of husband, friends and walks and talks with the Lord!

Thank you for sharing, and my our Lord fill every empty space with His grace and love!

Glenn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home